Focusmaster™ / Downloads
|TeleVue.com: Imaging Accessories > Focusmaster™ / Downloads > ASCOM Software|
ASCOM plug-in drivers for Focusmaster™ allow software packages to control the Focusmaster™. The ASCOM Plug-ins discussed here were tested on MaxIM DL 4.
- Windows 98SE/Me/NT/2000/XP/7-32 bit operating system
- ASCOM platform installed on computer.
- Software that accepts ASCOM plug-ins for focus control (such as MaxIm DL and Astroart) installed on computer. In many cases this software automatically installs the ASCOM platform.
See Automate Image Focusing page for a list of accessories that work with Focusmaster™.
These instructions demonstrate how to install and setup a Focusmaster™ ASCOM driver.
ASCOM Driver Install
Make sure ASCOM-compliant focusing software is installed and functioning on your computer.
- Install the ASCOM platform if not already installed. You can confirm installation by
locating "ASCOM Platform" under Start/Programs or Start/Settings/Control Panel
Add/Remove programs applet.
- Download the correct Focusmaster™ ASCOM driver for your setup and install
- Download absolute driver if using the Digital Indicator to autofocus.
- Download relative driver to manually focus using your camera control software.
Select [Open] or [Run] button on download dialog (image top-right) to begin download and install. You can also opt to click the [Save] button to download the file to a local computer folder; then manually click the file to begin installation.
- Follow the prompts in the install dialog boxes (welcom screen image at right).
ASCOM Driver Setup
As the setup must be done through a host program, the example here uses MaxIM DL 4. Numbered steps refer to numbers on the images.
- Start MaxIM DL and open the Telescope Control window.
- In the Telescope Control window select the Setup tab.
- Click the [Options] button below the Focuser selector.
- Select [Choose] to display the ASCOM Chooser.
- Select the Focusmaster™ driver and then click [Properties...] to open the Focusmaster™ setup dialog.
- Optimum results can be had if the Motor Speed text box is set to 200 (refer back to first screen-shot in series). Click [OK] to return to the Telescope Control window.
- Select the Autofocus tab of the Telescope Control window and click
the [Settings] button to display the Autofocus Settings dialog.
- In the Autofocus Settings dialog it is very important to set the correct value in the Telescope Focal Ratio text box. The correct value is engraved on your telescope or printed in the owners manual.
- If using the absolute driver: Focuser Step Size should be set to 100 and the Microinches radio button selected. Neither setting is relevant for the relative driver.
- In Start/Settings/Control Panel find Add/Remove programs applet.
- Select on Focusmaster_XXX_ASCOM (where XXX is rel or abs) and click the [Remove] button to uninstall.